Re: forgot all dba password :(

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 01:38:00 +1000

I didn't see the original, so apologies for inserting responses to the original poster within someone else's reply.

"Dan Yusuph" <oradba_at_mail.kz> wrote in message news:b9kqpf$k9to6$1_at_ID-175901.news.dfncis.de...
> aK <res1e24o_at_verizon.net>
> wrote in message news:zblva.5848$TM6.3868_at_nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
>
> aK> hi, i'm running 9i on redhat 7.3 and have used orapwd util to reset
> password
> aK> for sys to "admin".

You mean you used orapwd to create a new password file, incidentally taking the opportunity to change the SYS password. OK... but did you use the correct password file name and the correct location? Password files have to be in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, and they must be called 'orapw<SID>'. (With judicious use of symbolic links you can actually call it anything you like and stick it wheresoever it pleases, but let's keep it simple, shall we??!)

> aK> For some reason, it is not working and i can't seem to get into sql
> prompt.

If the file has the correct permissions (you can always temporarily chmod it 777 to make absolutely certain Oracle can read it), and is of the correct name and in the correct location, it should work. You of course need the $ORACLE_SID environment variable set before you attempt to fire up SQL Plus, because it's that which tells Oracle which of the many possible password files it should use for authentication in a particular session. The ORACLE_SID must match exactly the SID bit of the password file name.

> aK> i also tried sys/change_on_install,

Well, the default password for SYS when connecting as a privileged user is usually 'oracle'. The change_on_install one is what used to be used in earlier versions for logging on as SYS as a normal (dictionary-authenticated) user.

>system/manager

System is not and should not be a privileged user, and will therefore never have an entry in a password file, so this particular connection attempt was a bit of a waste of time.

, sysman/oem_temp,

And sysman isn't even a database user, but merely the administrative account for the Oracle Management Server process.

but
> no
> aK> success. Do i have to re-install whole thing?

Of course not! Just make sure the password file is called the right name, is in the right location, and has the right permissions, and that ORACLE_SID is set correctly. Then it should work (and you'll be logging in as SYS).

>or is there anyway to
> re-set
> aK> the password to the default value?

No, there's no way to instantly reset it to the default.

> su - oracle
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect / as sysdba
> alter user sys identified by anything;
>
> Dan

Dan's suggestion is also good, although it rather by-passes the problems you're having with Password File authentication by the simple expedient of switching to Operating System authentication. It will work, though, only if you performed the install as a user called 'oracle', and only if that user remains a member of the dba group in /etc/groups. Both of which are normally the case, but may not be.

Regards
HJR