Re: Restore to now - 2 hours

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 06:39:57 -0700

Marc Eggenberger wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have a database running on Oracle 8.0.6 on WinNT.
>
> Its running in archive log mode.
>
> Some users did some wrong operations on the database. So strucural
> change, but they altered data (did some delete statements and some
> inserts). How can I restore the database to the point it was at today
> 13.00?
>
> is this done with
>
> recover database until time '2003-05-09:13:00:00'
>
> ??
>
> --
> mfg
> Marc Eggenberger

All you can do is curse the darkness.

You are running a nearly decade old unsupported version of Oracle that does not have log miner (8i) or flashback queries (9i). It has been ages since I've worked with 8.0 but my recollection is that the best you can possibly do is the previous night's backups in another database and then export those records.

For the future examine your security policies ... why was anyone allowed to do this and consider implementing a 24 or 48 hour audit trail with AFTER UPDATE / AFTER DELETE triggers.

Hopefully my memory is faulty and someone can help you more than I did.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu