Re: Restore to now - 2 hours

From: Marc Eggenberger <marc.eggenberger_at_itc.alstom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 16:24:04 +0200

In article <3EBBAFAD.C2EC7A04_at_exxesolutions.com>, damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com says...

[...]

> All you can do is curse the darkness.

And bitch at the Manager ;) that did me some good ...

> You are running a nearly decade old unsupported version of Oracle that
> does not have log miner (8i) or flashback queries (9i). It has been ages
> since I've worked with 8.0 but my recollection is that the best you can
> possibly do is the previous night's backups in another database and then
> export those records.
>
> For the future examine your security policies ... why was anyone allowed
> to do this and consider implementing a 24 or 48 hour audit trail with
> AFTER UPDATE / AFTER DELETE triggers.
>
> Hopefully my memory is faulty and someone can help you more than I did.

Thanks for your help. I'm already restoring previous night's backup and will do the export.

i know this is an old version. I came in as a temporary MSSQL DBA replacement. Now I have to look after the Oracle as well and I already told the customer to update. They say this is not necessary because it worked always like this. Now I have some more strong points on my side ;)

This environment here is pretty bad. They have me ;) and some other problems. I did an pretty long paper on what is bad, what should be changed etc etc ....

The customer got it and they are not willing to change much .. but at least I have it all written, so they cant blame me and I earn some money on overtime. The situation sucks but this seems to be real life ...

--
mfg
Marc Eggenberger