Re: Australian trip.

From: Schmuck <yamahasw40_at_latinmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2003 14:54:18 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0305071358.4c587c7b_at_posting.google.com>...
> ggallagher_at_espeed.com (Guy G) wrote in message news:<470e4f07.0305070927.6a95712b_at_posting.google.com>...
>
> > - Your datafiles total 345 GB
> > - You have 170 GB of disk available for backups
> > - Tape backup is not an option
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Praying is always an option...
>
> Failing that, you could look at using compression?
> Oracle data files usually compress more than 50:1.
>

> > - Your redo logs switch 5-6 times per hour; size is 200MB
>

> Definitely compression will be needed!
>

> > - Database must be online 24 X 7, or close to it
>
> Cool. Another exercise in fitting
> large animals through eyes of needles?

Just finished fitting said animal through said eye of needle on another customer site... but you need a wad of cash to do it.

What we ended up doing was sticking in an HP Eva and using its Snapclone facility to copy the (marked) database while it stayed live. This meant the db was only marked for about 20 minutes a day. The clone of the 1.5TB DB took about 12 hours. The clone was then mounted on another box and ran off to tape. (StoTek L700e with 8 SDLTs).

Redo logs went to tape directly.

If I had my time again I would look at an alternative to the HP Eva.. the product doesn't feel mature... but then it was one of those horror jobs where the client had already bought all the bits of lego and "just needed somebody to put it all together".

Matt Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 16:54:18 CDT