Examples of setup for 5TB Oracle DB?

From: Frank Foss <fozzie_beer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:22:29 -0700

Greetings!

Have any of the honored group regulars implemented a server /cluster for running a 5TB Oracle9i database recently?

I am looking for examples, what configurations worked for you, what didn't work, pitfalls and so on on the hardware side.

My department is expected to come up with a proposal to be used in discussions with a prospective client. We have guessed/estimated the data growth to be around 3GB per day(at least), and they envision 5 years of online data. That brings the total up to around 5TB, give or take a few.

The largest existing installation running our software is around 288GB, running on a Compaq cluster, 2 ES40 nodes and a Compaq SAN. It runs fairly well.

The new customer likes Sun/Solaris, we have more experience with HP/HP-UX.

I was thinking along the lines of a 4-node Sun Fire V480 4x900MHz CPU, 8GB RAM each, connected to some EMC Symmetrix/Clariion system. Running Oracle9i RAC, in a 4 active configuration. (is 3 active/1 standby nodes "better")

Personally, I think the Dell/Linux/EMC+Oracle RAC 4-node clusters look pretty sweet, but I don't really want to jeopardize the contract by suggesting it to an important client...

Money may not be the limiting factor, but massive overkill may not do it..

Any thoughts?

Foz Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 17:22:29 CDT