Re: IBM Debunks Oracle's MultiVersion Read Consistency ?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 12:08:14 -0700

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3EBA7745.9FF23FF4_at_exxesolutions.com...
> 1. Demand for employees: A quick trip to dice.com, monster.com, and
> hotjobs.com indicates no erosion
> Worldwide: 997 jobs for DB2, 3786 for Oracle

Cause oracle is 4 times more labor intensive?

> 2. Demand for training materials: A quick trip to amazon.com,
> barnesandnoble.com, etc. indicate no erosion
> 226 books on DB2, 1095 on Oracle

They have 4 times more unnecessary features?

I've just waisted half a day researching why my database hangs. Printing pstack indicated some semahores waiting, etc, etc. Finally 10046 trace revealed that it waits me to manually switch archive log! I unintentionally turned on archive because I was not able to offline a tablespace without turning archive log -- oracle error explicitly requred me to do so. Unlike other parameters, archiving mode is not listed in init.ora, but still persists through database shutdown, who might expect it? Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 14:08:14 CDT