Re: not your every day communication problem

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 08:45:58 -0500

On Tue, 06 May 2003 13:59:20 +0200, Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>

>> I know that I want to get this app to an IPC or BEQ connection to cut
>> the network out of the picture, but I'm curious about the difference
>> in behavior between being logged on to the server as a local user vs.
>> a domain user.
>
>I'm not sure if I got the full picture, but I'd assume you had the following
>situation:
>
>A domain user is logging on to the console of your db server. However,
>due to a network problem the domain_controller is not available, so
>the local profile is used.
>
>So far no problem, but when connecting to the database you don't get
>a connection. How is the db user defined? If you use external authentification,
>then the DB will try to authenticate your db user with a domain controler,
>but since the network is down, no domain controller available, it will refuse
>the connection.
>
>If you connect via 'classic' user/passwd - I've no idea why this should
>fail ('cause it shouldn't).
>
>HTH
>
>Holger

OK, I realize I did leave out a couple of key bits of info. Some of that comes from those bits being the assumed default at this site, the rest from thinking it probably wasn't important. Let me try to fill it in more.

As I said, the app runs on the same box as the db. The app itself is really a collection of five 'server type processes' -- communicating with the db on one side, but with a warehouse full of hand-held bar-code scanners and a web server on the other. These were not written as NT Services, so there must be user logged on to the machine to execute them. So the box stays logged on and locked in a cabinet.

The app connects to the db with a full 'connect user/pswd_at_xxxx' connect string. The very first Oracle db's we ever built (back at 7.3) we had multiple db's on a box, so we have always stayed away from depending on ORACLE_SID to default a connection. That being said, when I am going to connect as a sysdba to perform shutdowns and startups, I do set ORACLE_SID, do a 'sqlplus /nolog', then 'connect / as sysdba' -- making sure, of course, that I am logged on to the box as a member of the oracle_dba group.

The username that the app uses to connect to the db are *not* identified externally.

I had several more paragraphs here, filling out more detail but as I wrote that I started talking myself into the answer. I'm still not clear on some things . . . but I think I see where I'm headed and need to get with the developer again to reconstruct the exact sequence of events.

Thanks for being a sounding board! Received on Tue May 06 2003 - 08:45:58 CDT