Re: Would you recommend having multiple instances on the same box?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:27:23 -0700

> <snipped
>

> [second rant] probably much more important is ensuring that the application code
> does not reside on the same box as the database. As far as I'm concerned, the
> failure to do this is one of the bigger reasons why Oracle is considered
> expensive - end up needing to get multiple CPU licenses to handle a 1-CPU load.

Are you recommending application code in the front-end or middle-tier ... no PL/SQL ... or are you recommending use of database links?

Simply put one gets the most database for their licensing dollars with one database-instance on one machine with multiple schemas rather than multiple databases-instances on a single machine. At least when licensing by CPU. And the use of machine resources is less with a smaller number of processes and only a single SGA. Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Apr 19 2003 - 11:27:23 CDT