Re: What is the difference between oradim and startup?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2003 22:22:56 -0700

Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message news:<i101avcbgslcu9ddg1g4lcfcctc8e836ab_at_4ax.com>...
> On 16 Apr 2003 23:06:16 -0700, rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com (Rauf Sarwar)
> wrote:
>
> Your explanation is very clear.
> I have this to ask.
> The OracleServiceSID is the service/process that is needed before you
> can start an Oracle instance. We can have more than one instances
> connected to the same OracleServiceSID?

No you cannot. All Oracle processes are unique to a particular SID. Oracle process is started with SID name as a parameter. If you have 5 instances running on your server, you would have 5 Oracle processes.

> The Oracle instance contains
> the SGA, background processes etc and many oother threads.
> So basically the OracleServiceSID is there waiting for us to connect,
> right?

Yes.

> The OracleServiceSID and Oracle instances all belong to the
> Oracle server architecture, right?

On Windows... Yes. It's a different architecture on *nix platforms because Windows and *nix have different OS architecture.

> How many services/processes are needed to fire up the Oracle server?

Oracle Server is not a single entity that you startup or shutdown. You install Oracle server that consists of all necessary components/files which help you to create an Oracle process and instance. Once an Oracle instance is created, all you need to have running to connect to that instance is Oracle Listener process, Oracle process (OracleServiceSID) and the Instance itself.

I would recommend you get Windows NT/2000 OS and Oracle Server documentation to get an in depth understanding of how Oracle runs on Windows.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Sat Apr 19 2003 - 00:22:56 CDT