Re: describing instance

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 14:40:46 -0700

"Boris Findrik" <risbo61REMOVE_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<b7lmo3$b7s$1_at_fegnews.vip.hr>...
> "Joel Garry" wrote:
>
> > That is why one uses scripts to do this. In some environments, I add
> > them to the daily backups!
>
> Nice idea, and then script to collect them all on one machine and with
> fixed part I will have documentation I need.

Actually, at one place I wrote a sorta-spyder that would rsh to the different machines to grab stuff like ts usage, size of backup files and so forth that management would want, format it into comma delimited, and send it off to the Jr. DBA who would import into the spreadsheet and prettify. Unfortunately, the other DBA's didn't care about such things so configurations would change too much for it to work for any length of time. I could have fixed to account for that, but I had only hacked it out to show the Jr. DBA how to do such things. And he didn't much care, because he was soon to be gone. And the next crop would manually look at each db with OEM and fill out the spreadsheet... sigh...

> And a lot of questions like: which AIX 5.1 have place for new project
> starting last week and due next monday :o)
> Maybe it would be nice to have some info in RDBMS to answer something
> like this quickly. Have anyone some DB in mind ?
> SqlServer, MySql ? Oh, but we have 50+ instance of something
> called Oracle so it would be nice to write
>
> select name from dataDB
> where os='AIX' and osver>5 and dbver > 817 and freespaceG > 5

Maybe that db you have for OEM anyways...

> > > That being said, I *do* keep a couple of 'quick reference' docs. One
> > > lists all of my servers, their IP addresses, key OS userids and
> > > passwords, and the databases hosted on each. Another lists all the
> > > databases, what server they are on, and key Orcle userids and
> > > passwords. I keep these docs on ---- Excel.
> > >
> So do I. But this is not document which can float around.
>
> > Actually, you need to design it to fit the future needs of the
> > organization, which they might or might not understand.
> Or don't want :o)

Preachin' to the choir, brother! :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.