Re: describing instance

From: Boris Findrik <risbo61REMOVE_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:56:50 +0200

"Joel Garry" wrote:

> That is why one uses scripts to do this. In some environments, I add
> them to the daily backups!

Nice idea, and then script to collect them all on one machine and with fixed part I will have documentation I need.

> I guess you've never had someone change the init.ora file of a running
> system (or change parameters online)! :-O
> Guess you've never had an environment large enough to have two
> tnsnames.ora! :-O
> Guess you've never had to answer which version one of several db's is
> when it is down! :-O

And a lot of questions like: which AIX 5.1 have place for new project starting last week and due next monday :o) Maybe it would be nice to have some info in RDBMS to answer something like this quickly. Have anyone some DB in mind ? SqlServer, MySql ? Oh, but we have 50+ instance of something called Oracle so it would be nice to write

select name from dataDB
where os='AIX' and osver>5 and dbver > 817 and freespaceG > 5

> > That being said, I *do* keep a couple of 'quick reference' docs. One
> > lists all of my servers, their IP addresses, key OS userids and
> > passwords, and the databases hosted on each. Another lists all the
> > databases, what server they are on, and key Orcle userids and
> > passwords. I keep these docs on ---- Excel.

So do I. But this is not document which can float around.

> Actually, you need to design it to fit the future needs of the
> organization, which they might or might not understand.
Or don't want :o)

> There's a gazillion scripts floating around for documenting db's,
> including some nice ones on metalink and most every website devoted to
> admin. This link might work:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showNOT?p_id=131704. 1

Thanks

> Personally, I tend to use these sorts of scripts because they keep the
> info online in a place that someone has to deal with them will look,
> then also occasionally prettify them in the sites favorite format for
> management. And the passwords in a secret place off the computer!
> :-)

Occasionaly I have to give management some docs and I like to have them as prepared as possible. Nothing fancy.

Thank again Joel,
Boris Received on Thu Apr 17 2003 - 02:56:50 CDT