Re: connecting to Tandem ODBC server.

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:40:33 -0500

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:04:52 -0500, "harry smith" <hrysmth_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>we have ODBC server running on TANDEM platform.
>How can I use SQLPLUS to connect to Tandem ODBC server? Do I have to
>install any Gateway modules on Oracle server side?
>
>TIA
>-hsmith

It appears you are looking through the wrong end of the telescope. To say you "have ODBC server running" makes no sense. ODBC is a *client* tool. It is not 'running' , at least not in the sense of having a service (Windows) or process (unix) up and running. It is an enabling layer -- really just an API or an abstracted device driver -- between an application and whatever vendor specific DB client software gets you to the database. SQLPlus doesn't connect to ODBC anything. It connects, via Oracle's networking layer, to Oracle database servers. If you have SQLPlus installed on a machine, then you should have everything you need on that machine to connect to any Oracle database anywhere on your network.

SQLPlus <--> TNS <--> client-side network protocol stack <--> network <--> server-side network protocl stack <--> TNS <--> database instance

ODBC enabled app (Excel, Access, etc, etc) <--> ODBC Driver <-->TNS <--> client-side network protocol stack <--> network <--> server-side network protocl stack <--> TNS <--> database instance

Give us some more info on your setup (client and server), what it is you've done, and what problems -- including error msgs -- you've had and perhaps we can set you on course. Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 12:40:33 CDT