Re: Full Database Backup to DAT

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 15:27:04 -0400

"Carlos Pérez" <carlosperezruiz_at_wanadoo.es> wrote in message news:b70ph0$1nk$1_at_unbe.sarenet.es...
> Hola
>
> Actually we are making logical and Physical Oracle's backups to a hard
disk
> drive but it wastes a lot of disk space.
>
> So we want to do full backups from an Oracle 8i Database in W2K directly
> a DAT Drive. How can it be done?
>
> Thanks

What is your current software used for tape backups?

I use Backup Exec, by Veritas, on our Win2k/Oracle8i server. Veritas sells an Oracle Agent add-on, similar to a Client Agent, which you include in your "backup selections". You create a user under Oracle just for backups, and the Oracle Agent uses that account to perform things such as "alter tablespace MYSPACE begin backup..end backup", etc. It eliminates any need for manual scripting, and even grabs the redo logs. Veritas also allows for complete disaster recovery of the database, too. I believe you can read the documentation at veritas.com .

I'm sure that other backup software has similar utilities.

Hope that helps,

-Thomas Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 14:27:04 CDT