Re: shared pool size question

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:27:57 -0700

> That makes sense. So for data warehouse type database which has huge
tables
> and joine operation is frequent, what is a typical value for
> Shared_pool_size? Thanks.

shared_pool_size is one of several tuning parameters you need to use to solve your problem. Also, it is not really a function of data warehuoses vs OLTP, but the real issue is query complexity. I'd suggest you take a look at the Oracle tuning guide, there are several parameters you should be looking at... The error you mention probably meant "cannot allocate x contiguous bytes," which means you need to look at the shared_pool_reserved_size parameter, and possibly the large pool as well.

Needless to say, this got complicated really fast. I'd suggest you read up about Oracle memory management and related issues (and _everything_ in Oracle is related to RAM!). You should develop a stronger background in how Oracle uses memory, how memory is divided up into pools (which pools, and which of those are optional), and how you can change the parameters to accomodate concurrent sessions vs memory per session vs memory pool fragmentation vs performance vs total amount of RAM vs accomodating the occasional large, complex query. You should not aim for the "perfect number" as there might not be such a thing, you should aim for "good enough." Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 14:27:57 CDT