Re: java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:17:47 +0100

<pete_at_mynix.org> wrote in message
> Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com> writes:
<snip>
> Yes: Java as a language is clearly faster than PL/SQL (you can measure
> yourself)

This statement and of course the reverse, which is what I would suspect, are crying out for justification. So given that we are all agreed that PL/SQL stored procs outperform Java Stored Procs, where is you measurement showing that java is faster except when calling from SQL? Or alternatively how do you know that it is the context switch that is slow?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA