Re: Word to Oracle via VBA

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:24:54 +0100

"Nuno Souto" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:73e20c6c.0304081424.236d104c_at_posting.google.com...
> Isn't OLEDB the "successor" to OO4OLE? I thought it was.
> Just had a look at the setup in the office and it's
> Excel only with ODBC. Then it's got the Excel database query pack
> installed. This activates the "Get External Data" option in
> Data menu. And the "Run Database Query" option. There appears to be
> no need for anything other than ODBC, at least in Excel. I've got
> OO4OLE installed as well, but it's an old thing.
> I'd expect Word to also be able to work with only ODBC but as you say,
> it's better to use OLEDB. At least it simplifies the VBA code.

OLEDB is the successor to ODBC. OO4O is an Oracle proprietory technology. Its the fact that OLEDB is the later, faster (and still being updated) technology which is why I would generally use it. Word will use ODBC, the only thing that would require changing in my code would be the connection string. Connection string formats can be found at www.connectionstrings.com

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA