snapshot data: can oracle somehow compress it?

From: <pete_at_mynix.org>
Date: 09 Apr 2003 00:43:43 +0200

We have an app that stores daily snapshots of data, such as:

day1, a1, b1, c1
day2, a1, b1, c1
day3, a1, b1, c2
day4, a1, b1, c2

etc

In general, much of the data won't change between two days. Therefore storing full snapshots is extremely wasteful w.r.t. diskspace.

I was wondering/thinking that Oracle should be able to store such snapshots more intelligently while creating the illusion of daily full snapshots:

In the example above it might be physically stored as:

from-day1, to-day2, a1, b1, c1
from-day3, to-day4, a1, b1, c2

i.e. as long as no column except for the date column changes, all dates could be captured in a single physical record with a from/to range for the date.

Currently we do such things manually, but that is quite tedious and prone to errors.

Is there some feature or option in Oracle to do this for us?

--
Peter Mutsaers, Dübendorf, Switzerland.