Re: snapshot data: can oracle somehow compress it?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:55:18 +0100

I can't think of any clever design tricks that would help. However Oracle 9
allows for data segment compression
which can reduce storage dramatically
by keeping (loosely speaking) a single
copy of repeated column items on a
block by block basis.

This is only appropriate for readonly
data, though, so if you can set up a
system where your data set is partitioned and older partitions can be made readonly, then you could find that it gives you a big data storage benefit, with no apparent
structural complexity, but an extra cost in CPU to unpack the data when required.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____UK_______April 22nd
____Denmark__May 21-23rd
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK_(Manchester)_May
____Estonia___June (provisional)
____Australia_June (provisional)
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

<pete_at_mynix.org> wrote in message

> We have an app that stores daily snapshots of data, such as:
>
> day1, a1, b1, c1
> day2, a1, b1, c1
> day3, a1, b1, c2
> day4, a1, b1, c2
>
> etc
>
> In general, much of the data won't change between two days.
Therefore