Re: determine log space used before a switch ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr20002_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:15:50 +1000

"Sravan" <beingmeus_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e2a16bc8.0304080731.70af4c7e_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
> 1) I was wondering it there is a way to find the the actual space used
> in a redolog, before it switches. My redologs are 200 MB.

Yes, you can query from sys.x$kcccp, which has a column called CPODR_BNO, which stands for 'current position of [d something???] redo block number'. A redo block is usually 512 bytes big, so if it tells you you are block 1000, it means half a meg of redo has been generated so far in the current redo log.

> 2) My alert log doesn't report any checkpoint information, is there a
> reason? Did I forget to turn on the magic switch. It does report the
> logswitch activity, though !!!

There's an init.ora parameter called 'log_checkpoints_to_alert' which needs to be set to TRUE for non-logswitch-induced checkpoints to be recorded in the alert log.

Regards
HJR