Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2003 06:25:58 -0800

> Because vi runs on ANY OS you may care to mention (with
> possible exception of MVS. But then again, who uses THAT?).
>
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam

[Ignoring what was probably humor] Just tens of thousands of sites around the world and most every major corporation in the world still run MVS. The mainframe may be in decline but there are still a lot of them around. And get this, we still run IMS on our mainframe, and are actually doing new development work in IMS using COBOL.

The next version of IMS will support access from JAVA based web applications so we will probably be running IMS a decade from now along side our Oracle (currently AIX) based applications. The more software technology advances the more work we do to hook it up to our oldest applications.

I have come to like vi and it annoys me when the TSO editor will not accept the j key as being a down arrow, :) . People who criticize vi should have had to use the line editors that preceded it then they would appreciate just what an improvement it was. Vi is a plan text file editor and is very good for that. It is not suitable for writing term papers. The right tool for the right job.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 08:25:58 CST