Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 2 Apr 2003 22:58:52 -0800

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> wrote in message news:<FnMia.17$GI5.87_at_news.oracle.com>...

> That old joke perfectly reflects my own experience: there is no vi feature
> which suggests that its creator had IQ more than 50.

Yet, given that its creator wrote it LONG before anything else was available and long before Gates "invented" Basic, maybe he was a little more intelligent than everyone else? ;)

> The world moved since
> then, and no decent editor today require a user remembering silly and
> counter intuitive commands anymore.

Really? So, how do you do advanced editing functions in "modern" editors? By waving your head? Oh, I forgot: the "modern" editor "guesses" what you want to do?

> Why are you guys so vigorously defending
> this old piece of junk?

Because a text editor edits text. Not "gui metaphores". And some of us like to do JUST that. No more no less.

Because vi does its job very well and with a minimum of fuss.

Because vi runs on ANY OS you may care to mention (with possible exception of MVS. But then again, who uses THAT?).

Because those who use it have enough intelligence to remember its commands. Which BTW are quite logical if you take the time to learn their history.

Shall I continue?
Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 00:58:52 CST