Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 3 Apr 2003 16:00:23 -0800

Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in message news:<2687bb95.0304030625.7652dfcc_at_posting.google.com>...

> [Ignoring what was probably humor] Just tens of thousands of sites
> around the world and most every major corporation in the world still
> run MVS. The mainframe may be in decline but there are still a lot of
> them around. And get this, we still run IMS on our mainframe, and are
> actually doing new development work in IMS using COBOL.

[It was humour!]
Good to see there's still life in the old bag of bones.... ;)

> The next version of IMS will support access from JAVA based web
> applications so we will probably be running IMS a decade from now
> along side our Oracle (currently AIX) based applications. The more
> software technology advances the more work we do to hook it up to our
> oldest applications.

Some people never learn... :D

> I have come to like vi and it annoys me when the TSO editor will not
> accept the j key as being a down arrow, :) .

Ah yes, I should have mentioned the old TSO editor, instead of MVS. I used to work with a sales rep that insisted TSO stood for Technical Support Organisation and I was wrong in calling it an interactive environment... :D

Last I heard VM had been "re-invented" as a way of running MVS and multiple Linux environments in the same mainframe. THAT will be fun!

> would appreciate just what an improvement it was. Vi is a plan text
> file editor and is very good for that. It is not suitable for writing
> term papers. The right tool for the right job.

Precisely.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 18:00:23 CST