Re: nitwits and 64-bits

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:09:30 -0600

pgaljan_at_yahoo.com (Paul Galjan) wrote in news:ccb63ac8.0303260951.2260be_at_posting.google.com:

> So I find myself in need of either hard benchmarks or anecdotal
> evidence showing the performance increase that can be expected when
> running 64-bit oracle vs. 32-bit Oracle on identical hardware.

Unless you're planning on using a lot of memory on the 64 bit Instance (greater than 4G), a 64-bit application (not Oracle-specific) will run slower than a 32-bit application. 64-bit requires a larger code stack and pointer chasing takes about 15% longer -- at least the benchmarks we ran. The offset is if you can take advantage of giving _and_ using the more than 4G.

The benchmarks we ran, we gave the Instance upwards of 96G - yes, that's gig! :)

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com