Re: nitwits and 64-bits

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:11:12 -0000

"Paul Galjan" <pgaljan_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ccb63ac8.0303260951.2260be_at_posting.google.com...
> Hey all,
>
> I've got a few Oracle Enterprise 8i databases running on Sun
> UltraSparc II machines (all 64-bit machines). The performance is
> acceptable. The operational DBs are running 32-bit Oracle, while our
> development databases are running 64 bit Oracle.
>
> Now we want to establish a new COTS baseline, and a couple of people
> are arguing that we should install 32-bit Oracle because (a)
> performance is acceptable and (b) they don't want any hiccups.
>
> Well, I know there will be few, if any, compatibility issues (though I
> would love to hear some stories).
>
> But my argument is that running 32-bit Oracle will hamstring server
> consolidation efforts, and waste the money we've spend on these shiny
> new Sun boxes.
>
> So I find myself in need of either hard benchmarks or anecdotal
> evidence showing the performance increase that can be expected when
> running 64-bit oracle vs. 32-bit Oracle on identical hardware.
>
> Anyone have a link or a story to tell?
>
> TIA,
> --paul

This may not be what you want to hear.

Running on HPUX 32 bit vs. 64 bit (not Sun, I accept), I personally have found:

64 bit has "issues" not apparent on 32 bit. 32 bit is faster anyway.

Anecdotal, I agree.

OTOH, a colleague reports having difficulty getting hold of 9i for 32 bit HPUX, so perhaps Oracle is hinting...

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 16:11:12 CST