Re: Managing Oracle with R-commands vs. SSH

From: Chuck <ccarson_at_echeeba.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:59:33 -0800

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote in

>> Pablo> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in
>> Pablo> news:91884734.0303251646.57f7c744_at_posting.google.com:

>> Pablo> Wouldn't a simple 'sed' script handle the above?  -- Pablo
>> Pablo> Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
>> Pablo> http://www.hpdbe.com
>>
>>Or even a symlink from the ssh scp to rsh and rcp.

> I wasn't sure if different versions of ssh/rsh and scp/rcp may have
> different arguments. The thought I had was to gawk/sed the cases
> ... anyway, I think we're all on the same page.

ssh/scp is almost an exact replacment for rsh and rcp. My last job I replaced a cluster #$*# of poorly written scripts that relied on rsh/rcp to support over 100 remote hospital clinical systems. In many cases I used sed to quicky migrate to ssh.

If you really have a lot of scripts to modify, think about symbolically linking rcp -> scp and rsh -> ssh.

Also, educate your DBA's on proper script writing and use common practices such as the following:

#!/bin/bash

CMD="ssh -l myuser"

uptime=`$CMD $host uptime`

exit 0;

This way all you ever have to change is one line of each script.

It merely sounds like your DBA's are thinking of excuses to keep the existing use of R commands. I have seen this nearly every company I have worked.

Also note that once you force them to use ssh, they will soon want ssh public keys w/o passphrases so that they can operate w/o using password. Avoid this as well.

-Chuck

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:59:33 CST