Re: Looking for a way to implement SQL-92 Domain

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 25 Mar 2003 07:05:06 -0600

On 25 Mar 2003, wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam wrote:
> Following up on Galen Boyer, 25 Mar 2003:
>

>> I guess it depends on one's definition of clutter.  :-)

> Yup. Last count these guys had one "type" table for
> EVERY other table in the schema. Bloody military...
> :)
>
> Now they have ONE type table with quite a few "sub-types"!
> Much easier. And a LOT less indexes...

Most of my lookups won't need indexes. The whole table will fit into a block. They are never updated, except by me. The table that has the description is the "lookup". It is the parent to all the subtypes. The subtype tables are just an id, only. The parent table will have an index on the global lookup key.

[...]

>> out there with the lookup values.  I don't show these tables
>> in the pictures of the model, the developers just know they
>> exist and can select from them if needed.

> I have to show EVERY single entity in that darn schema...

I have complete autonomy on it. :-)

>> So then the "clutter" is minimized and I don't have to
>> maintain triggers.  The RI is maintained by the database.

> Mine too. No triggers anywhere. I was suggesting triggers
> to this fellow because he might not have an API interface
> like mine. It's easy with one, particularly if auto-generated.
>

> How do you find Erwin? We tried it, but eventually
> gave up. Much faster than Designer, but it wasn't anywhere
> as "tuned" to Oracle as Designer is.

I don't even consider Oracle stuff with it. I use it for its logical modeling, physical reengineering, domains and submodels as well as its reporting. I like it for that, alot.

I leave the Oracle specific stuff to source control. I don't use its space management or trigger generation or view creation.

> And it didn't have a SQL compatible meta-dictionary, which
> meant I'd have to go into its own API to get auto-gen code.
> With Designer it was easy: just straight forward SQL and
> PL/SQL.
It has auto-gen code stuff, all over the place. I've never thought about using it. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it just ain't useful...

--
Galen Boyer