Re: Looking for a way to implement SQL-92 Domain

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 25 Mar 2003 14:25:12 -0800

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<u8yv3a9a1.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...

> into a block. They are never updated, except by me.

Lucky sod! :)
We were told initially the client would be updating this stuff. Then they told us to do it ourselves. Then they told us to develop an application to maintain all the reference stuff and they'd run it.
Customers...

> I have complete autonomy on it. :-)

I dunno, some people have all the luck! :)

> It has auto-gen code stuff, all over the place. I've never
> thought about using it. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it
> just ain't useful...

Didn't think it was that useful. The code it auto-generates is fixed. Ie, there is no obvious way to change its characteristics or templates. So, we were stuck with one way of doing things. And there was no easy way of getting into its own meta data to generate our own stuff. What we found with Designer was that we could actually go into its meta-dictionary and its own API views to generate code the way we wanted it.

One of ours guys even wrote a PL/SQL proc that extracts all the design into a XML file directly used by WSAD in the Websphere environment for autogen of Jave DAOs! Magic stuff. All I have to do is change the design, patch up the database side of it with the proper info and run all the scripts. Out comes the other end the basics of all the code, plus scripts for generating schema. And enough XML to keep a pack of Java developers happy for months! <G>

However, Erwin runs rings around Designer when it comes to speed and reporting!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Mar 25 2003 - 16:25:12 CST