Locking Question (nowait, UPDATE etc)

From: Johannes Eggers <jeggers_at_tetrix.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:04:14 -0600

I hope this question makes sense:

We have some code (in stored procedures) that selects data FOR UPDATE NOWAIT, and it behaves as excepted. Other code (running in a separate transaction) attempts to update/modify the data using standard DELETE FROM table WHERE... or UPDATE table SET ... syntax. That code waits on the FOR UPDATE lock indefinitely (i.e. until the other transaction is rolled back or committed). We need a mechanism whereby the UPDATE or DELETE statement would fail, but it appears that the nowait option is not available for the UPDATE or DELETE syntax. For performance reasons, we can NOT do another select-for-update-nowait prior to running the actual UPDATE or DELETE, this would just be way too slow.

Thanks,

 JEE Received on Mon Mar 24 2003 - 18:04:14 CST