Re: Memory Problems (Apps 11i)

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:38:36 +0000

BobGie wrote:

> We have 3GB of memory (RAM) and 4GB of swap space on our HP-UX 11.11
> server. We recently upgraded from Apps 10.7 NCA to 11.5.8 (11i). Our
> system is on a testing phase now and we currently have 13 users only. But
> when I issue the "top" command in unix, I can see that the free memory
> suddenly drop to 25 MB, what happened to my 2.85GB of memory? Is there
> some suggestion? Is this an issue with SGA?

Why do you think there is a memory problem? Are there any errors reported on the HP-UX console, Oracle alert logs or anywhere else?

Memory is there to be used. Loads of unused memory, is a waste. Just as is a CPU that is always running idle.

That said - memory and CPU should be effectively used. But used they should be. Unless there are memory errors or performance issues that relates to memory usage (i.e. loads of page swapping), then a mere 25MB of free memory is not a Bad Thing (tm).

--
Billy