Database Performance Metrics - What to use?

From: buckeye234 <member13594_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:15:32 +0000

What Performance Metrics are generally used to show to non-techincal upper management how databases are performance. Using the latest buzz-words, I need to provide Key Performance Indicators, in the form of somewhat generic graphs, to show how the database group is providing quality customer service.

My quandry is what metrics are generic enough across all types of Oracle databases (DSS, OLTP, DW, etc) that they provide real indications of how the databases are performing. Obviously, uptime is a no brainer. After that, my imagination fails me. Using the various Hit Ratios, I feel, aren't true indicators.

I'm sure other people report on database performance and I am wondering what you use. If you can, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Patrick

PS. We use versions of Oracle from 7.3 to 9.2. We run on Windows,

     Solaris and AIX.