Re: Database Performance Metrics - What to use?

From: buckeye234 <member13594_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:59:56 +0000

Thanks all for your input. My problem is that we have 40+ production databases that support different application types. Some are OLTP databases where quick response time, in-memory sorts, even various hit ratios "look good". Others are reporting databases and large repositories used for other purposes.

One in particular is an imaging database, where images are stored on disk or tape, and the database contains information about what the image is and where it is located. We add around 2,000,000 rows a day and have data for four years. A lot of inqueries from our customers are for a single image. Obviously, the hit ratios on this database are a bit on the low side.

Other reporting databases have three years worth of data and reports and analytics processes take hours to run, so response time isn't a good indicator.

I was asked to provide generic KPI's, but I responded that they would vary by database type. I just wanted to validate my thoughts (sometimes those thoughts stray from the realm of normal ;). It looks like it is reasonable to present different KPI's for databases that serve different purposes.

Thanks to all who replied.
Patrick