Re: who has LINUX - 9iR2 in production?

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 12 Mar 2003 19:37:47 +1100

 Tomislav> We are experiencing some problems which I would like to
 Tomislav> share with order DBAs running 9.2. on Linux in production
 Tomislav> with >200 users.

 Tomislav> mostly Listener issures, dedicated server and shared server  Tomislav> as well as utilising larger amount of RAM (we have 6GB)

Are your problems possibly memory related?

Linux has a problem with large memory models (4 Gb an up). We have a production system with 6 Gb of memory, but not running any Db. When we tried to move our old users etc to this new system, we attempted to do it using rsync. Instead of taking the hour or so we had expected to do the transfer, it took nearly 24 and got slower and slower.

On investigation, we suspected a memory problem. We contact some linux groups and got some feedback from a number of well known linux kernel developers (sorry, can't remember the names). It turns out the memory model used in Linux just doesn't do well with anything over about 4 Gb. in fact, the large memory model implemented in the kernel is being totally re-written in 2.7 (which is a long way off as the next production release will be 2.6 and the current development version is 2.5).

Tim

--
Tim Cross