Re: Stored Procedure compatibiilty

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: 08 Mar 2003 23:00:04 GMT

Following up on DA Morgan, 09 Mar 2003:

> The chances of the problem being your procs is near zero unless they are
> dependant upon specific data dictionary columns. If the code compiles ...
> the problem is almost undoubtedly not in the stored procedures.

I'd go along with this. If it compiles, then most likely the stored proc is not the problem. There are things like LONG columns and such that are different but they get trapped at compile time.

> But by the same token you should change the code. Not just to take
> advantage of new features but because you are no longer running under the
> rule based optimizer and need to optimize your SQL statements for the CBO.

IIRC, cost based WAS available in 7.3. Even though few people used it. It may well be this has nothing to do with the "weirdness" he found. More likely some difference in character sets of the databases. Or NULL being out of sequence.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto