Re: running oracle personal 8i from a second hard drive

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:53:26 -0800

Ryan wrote:

> "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message
> > This is just for home use. My main operating system is Windows XP. I
> > generally ran personal straight from the start menu. So Im in the icons
> and
> > Im using 'OStart' in the bin directory. I get the following error:
> >
> > ORA-12154 Cannot Attach to Oracle 8i.
> >
> > Anyone know how I start it up? I just want to mess around with it. Yes, I
> > have 9i.
> >

> more detail.
>
> Personal 8i is installed on a Windows 98 hard drive. Im booting from a
> windows XP drive.
>
> Which executable do I use to start the instance? I dont need server manager
> for personal.

None!

Oracle is installed under Windows as a service. If it installed correctly it will automatically start and shutdown with the machine's operating system.

Did you read the installation instructions on the CD? Sorry for the rhetorical question.
Do so now and just use SQL*Plus to log on.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Mar 08 2003 - 16:53:26 CST