Re: Stored Procedure compatibiilty

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:50:41 -0800

David Nguyen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 1. I have hundreds of stored procedures in oracle 7.3 windows NT now I
> want to import it to oracle 9i will it work? because I run my C++
> application it seem doesn't work right and I wonder it cause by stored
> procedures or something else?
>
> 2. Is there any known issues about stored procedures compatibility?
> should I recompile all the stored procedures in oracle 9i will it make
> any different?
>
> Thanks David

The chances of the problem being your procs is near zero unless they are dependant upon specific data dictionary columns. If the code compiles ... the problem is almost undoubtedly not in the stored procedures.

But by the same token you should change the code. Not just to take advantage of new features but because you are no longer running under the rule based optimizer and need to optimize your SQL statements for the CBO.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Mar 08 2003 - 16:50:41 CST