Re: SQL Statement Shutdown

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 16:01:12 -0800

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3e667ff5_2_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
> Joel,
>
> I don't want to get contentious here, but it seems to me that according to
> fundamental principles, one must trust shutdown abort, followed by startup.
>
> If not, surely the conclusion must be that Oracle cannot recover from
> instance failure? And of course it always can, and always does.

Well, I'm one in a million, and I've seen it fail. But that is not the point. The point is HJR is advocating abort as a routine, without the concommitant bounce afterwards. Why must one trust that, when Oracle documents that you shouldn't? To me, that is just asking for trouble, especially when presented as advice to novices, and the caveat of having some files backed up necessarily brings in the whole manual recovery issue (else how do they get restored?).

> Yes, I've been there with replication failure - across the Atlantic - and
> sometimes a wait (or a few judicious kill sessions to hurry it up a bit)
> is/are needed.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

jg