Re: SQL Statement Shutdown

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:53:39 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3e667ff5_2_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
> > Joel,
> >
> > I don't want to get contentious here, but it seems to me that according to
> > fundamental principles, one must trust shutdown abort, followed by startup.
> >
> > If not, surely the conclusion must be that Oracle cannot recover from
> > instance failure? And of course it always can, and always does.
>
> Well, I'm one in a million, and I've seen it fail. But that is not
> the point. The point is HJR is advocating abort as a routine, without
> the concommitant bounce afterwards. Why must one trust that, when
> Oracle documents that you shouldn't? To me, that is just asking for
> trouble, especially when presented as advice to novices, and the
> caveat of having some files backed up necessarily brings in the whole
> manual recovery issue (else how do they get restored?).
>

> > Yes, I've been there with replication failure - across the Atlantic - and
> > sometimes a wait (or a few judicious kill sessions to hurry it up a bit)
> > is/are needed.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Paul
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/thu/business/news_1b6gateway.html

If you are on some personal rampage please take it off-line.

Those that are here are here because they wish to be and because they wish to help others. None of us are paid, none of us have any obligation to answer, to answer correctly, or to even know that of what we speak. If you receive advice from someone consider that advice and take it or don't take it as you wish. But don't start sniping at the messenger because they were wrong, incomplete, or don't happen to agree with your view of the world.

I happen to have never seen a negative affect of SHUTDOWN ABORT in more than 13 years with Oracle. I've never seen a negative affect with KILL -9 either. Does that guarantee I won't have problem tomorrow? No. It is just my experience and I relate it here to the best of my ability.

If you want advice from people that are paid to keep you happy go to http://metalink.oracle.com. Which should be no problem since you have a legal copy of the software, a support agreement, and a CSI number.

As I said at the top ... if you want to rant ... rant ... but please don't do it here.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 19:53:39 CST