Re: Use of TEMP tablespace other than sorting

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:05:51 -0000

Hold on -

That wasn't my advice - it was a hypothetical reason why someone else might have seen
a performance improvement when they tried it.

I think Joel Garry has highlighted a most important point - your statistics appear to be a few weeks out of data.

Hash joins (particularly multi-table hash joins) suffer two catastrophe points in their performance curves, and the second one appears only if real life and the stored statistics are far enough out of line with each other.

Check the SQL for lost joins, and also for the table order that you think would be sensible and the number of rows that you think should be picked up from each table.

Then check the execution plan, and see if the join order and the CARDINALITY for
each TABLE line matches your expectation. My primary guess is still that Oracle is generating one (or more) intermediate result sets that is close to a cartesian join between two of the tables, and having to dump it to disc.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk