Re: 9i install quit right after setting installation types

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 11:02:04 +1100

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 00:00:42 +0100, Konstantinos M wrote:

> I see. So, I have a problem, I am putting up a post about it, and you
> answer to me not because you actually care to help, but because you want
> to to make a paradeigm out of me for others, as in "look children, never
> post nonsense like this guy". Correct ?

Incorrect. The answer was addressed to you as much as to others who make use of the archives: stop wasting time on thoughts about a Pentium 4 bug which doesn't exist. If you want replies which only address your own, specific problem, without attempting to draw wider conclusions for the benefit of all in a public forum, then that's what email is for. And consultancy fees.

>And I would not mind that much, after all if I
> said something stupid ok fine, but you convict me almost without reading
> what I say. Let me say it again: "I don't think it's the P4 bug, ...".

Let me also remind you that despite having such thoughts, you went to all the trouble of copying the CDs onto your hard drive and renaming a bunch of files. Which is fine if it's 8i and a P4, but is a complete wrong direction to go in for your specific 9i/P4 situation.

> You want me to not even mention the P4 bug since it's 9i

I want you -and everyone else- to *understand* the P4 bug, and what gave rise to it, so you don't waste your time in future doing a whole bunch of copying and renaming which is (a) not needed and (b) may cause all sorts of other problems further down the track.

> - on the other hand
> I don't care about that, I care not to receive answers like some of the
> ones I read here, people answering "it must be the P4 bug" even when the
> problem is about a CD with a read error.

OK, so your problem is fixed? Good. And it didn't need a clean install after all... fine (which doesn't mean that suggesting it was "wrong", because eliminating other issues is usually a good way of identifying the real one). I'm pleased for you, actually, in that case. But just as it would have been a waste of time *for you* to clean install, so it was a waste of time for you to copy the CDs and rename things. Out of this mess, then, I've learnt to suggest checking your install media first; and you have hopefully learnt not to apply a fix for an 8i problem to a 9i issue.

Now, if you could also just learn that criticising an approach doesn't imply criticising the person, and so doesn't warrant making personal comments about someone's need for a vacation or a career change in reply, we'll have achieved something worthwhile.

HJR   Received on Sat Mar 01 2003 - 18:02:04 CST