Re: 9i install quit right after setting installation types

From: Konstantinos M <kostasmelis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 18:49:27 +0100

Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:pan.2003.03.02.00.02.03.614691_at_yahoo.com.au...
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 00:00:42 +0100, Konstantinos M wrote:
>

> Incorrect. The answer was addressed to you as much as to others who make
> use of the archives: stop wasting time on thoughts about a Pentium 4 bug

Not good enough, Howard. You are ignoring the problem and getting stuck on the way the problem is presented. Really stuck, too. You are still talking about it. No matter what I say the cause of the problem might be (P4 bug, not enough memory, messed up registry of previous ora versions) and whether I am right or wrong, the main thing in my post is the OUI that quits without installing. So you either have a solution about it, or not. It's as simple as that. And trying to convince me that I was wrong to mention the P4 bug doesn't benefit me or you or the others who have stop reading this thread anyway.

> which doesn't exist. If you want replies which only address your own,
> specific problem, without attempting to draw wider conclusions for the
> benefit of all in a public forum, then that's what email is for. And
> consultancy fees.

I appreciate your advice, but I find it totally wrong. If I want replies tailored for me, I can look for them anywhere. And I think I am not alone too - many people who post here don't do it because they think that all will benefit for it; they do it because lots of people will read their problem so that will increase their chance to get help. I don't know if you are the owner of the forum and I am not aware of it but the fact that you want some rules applied does not actually mean that everybody will (or must) follow them.

> Let me also remind you that despite having such thoughts, you went to all
> the trouble of copying the CDs onto your hard drive and renaming a bunch
> of files. Which is fine if it's 8i and a P4, but is a complete wrong
> direction to go in for your specific 9i/P4 situation.

I did that because I was given a link to a univercity from Indiana that explained the problem and the workaround without actually saying which version the problem appears on. Actually that was half of the reason. The other half is because I wanted to free the cdrom of the machine because it is being shared and besides it would be quicker to install from disk. I have to admit though that I must have lost at least 5 minutes to rename the files.

> I want you -and everyone else- to *understand* the P4 bug, and what gave
> rise to it, so you don't waste your time in future doing a whole bunch of
> copying and renaming which is (a) not needed and (b) may cause all sorts
> of other problems further down the track.

Fine. I can understand that by reading "you know, the P4 bug does not apply on the 9i version, only on the 8i". I understand you have said that too many times and it gets tiring, but that's not my fault now is it.

> > I don't care about that, I care not to receive answers like some of the
> > ones I read here, people answering "it must be the P4 bug" even when the
> > problem is about a CD with a read error.
>
> OK, so your problem is fixed? Good. And it didn't need a clean install
> after all... fine (which doesn't mean that suggesting it was "wrong",
> because eliminating other issues is usually a good way of identifying the
> real one). I'm pleased for you, actually, in that case. But just as it

No, my problem is unfortunately still there and most probably I will have to find another machine to put 9i on. If I could 'play' with this one I would be happy to remove everything and start from the beginning but no can do. I didn't say anything about you suggesting it either (nor did I mean that MY problem is a read error - that was an example).

> Now, if you could also just learn that criticising an approach doesn't
> imply criticising the person, and so doesn't warrant making personal
> comments about someone's need for a vacation or a career change in reply,

Not a career change - that would suggest you are not good at what you do. A break though would maybe help you see if some things which are not worth it are getting to you too much. Because I don't mind somebody criticising my approach, but I don't like anybody calling what I say nonsense and YELLING because what I suggested doesn't apply to this case. That's rude, and if you understand that then we have indeed achieved something worthwhile. Having the knowledge is not enough you know - you need good communication to pass it on to others. Oh, and patience, too.

Kostas Received on Sun Mar 02 2003 - 11:49:27 CST