Re: question on oracle to combine with reports software

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 14:58:51 -0800

jase024 <member25482_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<2567407.1046106067_at_dbforums.com>...
> why not just create a view to pull the data the way they want it? a
> view is just a stored SQL statement (or "virtual table" for lack of a
> better word) that will always pull the latest data without relying on
> stored procs. I handle the whole ball of wak in our organization, and
> for reporting (whether it's ASP, Access, etc.) I prefer views. Our
> latest reporting system relies heavily on views to get all the data
> into one place.

The usual problem with such a scheme is the set of reports based on a large data set with some complicated join, strange denormalization, or the reporting tool insists on bringing all the data down before dealing with it because there would just have to be too many views to handle all possible situations. So it makes sense to have the data preprocessed. But if views meet your needs, that's the way to go, much easier to maintain.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
"Buying stock in a bear market is like climbing a mountain during an