Re: I need hlp with user configuration

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:16:49 GMT

rereidy_at_indra.com said...
> What is "oracle user table"? I have never heard of such a thing in any
> version of Oracle from 4.x -> 9i.
>
> The error message says it all - you gave an incorrect username/password.
> Check it and try again.
>
> --
> Ron Reidy
> Oracle DBA
>
> Guillaume Lapierre wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > usually i am a developpement programmer based on C++ and Oracle. i
> > just set up an Oracle 9i server and i need some help with the user
> > configuration. Oracle don't let me login by SQL+. I double checked my
> > connection string and i seriously think that's my oracle user table is
> > not working. The error message said : invalid username/password.
> >
> > I did authorize a WINDOWS 2000 user in the database administration
> > tool....
> >
> > help me!
> >
> > Guillaume Lapierre
> > xpepsi_manx_at_hotmail.com
> > guillaume.lapierre_at_meq.gouv.qc.ca

I think the OP is trying very hard to describe what is happening, using the words he knows. Of course, there's no "oracle user table", but that doesn't change the error. The error message might NOT say it all. It might NOT be an invalid username/password at all ... IF he is trying to connect to the "wrong" database. Instead it might be an invalid connect string. Or it might be that the user he created wasn't given the correct privileges.

Still, Guillaume, you haven't given us enough information to guess what's really happening.

What do you mean by "connection string"? An alias entry in your tnsnames.ora file? An OCI connect string in a C++ program? Perhaps you can post your tnsnames.ora file (or at least the portion that contains your connect string).

Which "database administration tool" did you use to authorize a user? Oracle users are different than Win2k users. What privileges did you give your Oracle user?

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA