Re: Oracle Server is _VERY_ slow

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:23:49 GMT

Paul.Gaggl_at_wifo.ac.at said...
> Hey!
>
> Our Oracle Enterprise Server 8.1.7.0.0 seems to be very very slow at the
> moment, although there are hardly any jobs running. And the few jobs
> that are running are very small tasks like inserting 100000 rows and the
> like.
> Are there any central options, that can lower performance drastically,
> if malconfigured?
>
> thx
> Paul

Well, I can think of one. If your SGA is too large, none of your users can get any memory without swapping something out of memory. You could have a 100% cache hit ratio, but only allow a few foreground users in at a time.

Well, I can think of some other possible problems. You could have an application that doesn't use bind variables and have to hard parse 100000 unique INSERT statements.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA