Re: 30 Character Limit

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 17 Feb 2003 12:31:34 GMT

Following up on Harish, 17 Feb 2003:

> 1. Oracle imposes 30 character limit on object names. Any specific
> reasons why this limit has not been relaxed even in 9i.

I'm not sure, but I think it is part of the SQL standard? IIRC, it's not just a limitation of Oracle.

(Please don't tell me that Postgres doesn't have this restriction:I couldn't care less.)

> 2. SMON only coalesces contingous free extents when the pctincrease is
> set to non-zero value.
> What is the reason for this ?

Check out all the discussions here on Locally Managed Tablespaces (LMT for short). SMON doesn't need to do any of that anymore. Of course for backwards compatibility, it might still be there.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto