Re: TNSLSNR crashes on Windows XP

From: Benjamin Day <benday_at_benday.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2003 18:58:34 -0800

> There shouldn't be any issues at all, provided (1) you're using the PRO
> version of XP, and not the Home one (2) you're using 9.2 and not 9.0.1 (3)
> you have adequate RAM and (4) it's a 'clean' machine

WinXP Pro: check.
Oracle 9.2: check.
RAM: check. (512MB)
Clean machine: reasonably clean. I definitely didn't do the install of oracle first but the machine is only a week old and doesn't have any games only office and developer tools.

> I think number 4 is the real killer. Now, I've got 9i currently running on
> XP, that also has MS Office, WinDVD, VMware, Nero, Civilization III, and
> Lord knows what else installed. But I installed Oracle first.

I did the install of 9.2 on my win2k server box and it went through without a hitch....it had tons of stuff installed by the time I got around to installing oracle.

While I agree that installing oracle first might minimize the freaky error factor, my installation of XP Pro is pretty standard and I have a hard time thinking that oracle should only install/work on a completely fresh box.

By the point that I'm getting this TNSLSNR.EXE crash, oracle itself is pretty much all set up. If you think about it, since TNSLSNR starts running, it is completely installed and actually listening...the crash always happens when I attempt to connect.

What does oracle do differently when omit the host name from the "connect" command? ("connect scott/tiger" works but "connect scott/tiger_at_laptop" causes the crash.)

Does anyone have any guesses as to what the underlying problem(s) could be?

Thanks in advance.
-Ben