Re: ORA-1652 with autoextendable tablespace

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 18:05:33 -0800

Rick Denoire wrote:

> Why is it that I get "ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 128
> in tablespace TEMP" even if I have one file in this tablespace set to
> autoextend?
>
> The TEMP tablespace had 3 files 8 GB each when I first got this
> message. I reluctantly added one more file with 2 GB initial size,
> autoextendable up to 8 GB. But it did not grow a bit. And in my
> opinion more than 24 GB for TEMP is huge of the space used for pure
> data is comparable in size.
>
> Of course, TEMP seems to be always full, but this is the way Oracle
> 8.1.7 works: It cleans up space only when necessary, as far as I know.
> Now, I will have to prove that the error is coming from a poorly
> written application. But since this application was developed by an
> external company, I will have to gather rock solid arguments.
>
> So how can I investigate this question? According to my experience,
> applications demanding huge amount of space in TEMP are just
> erroneous.
>
> Bye
> Rick Denoire

What application? How many simultaneous users?

I hate to ask but I've seen this before. Have you verified that the tablespace named TEMP is really a temporary tablespace and not a permanent tablespace?

SELECT tablespace_name, contents
FROM dba_tablespaces;

I'll be interested to know the above.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Feb 02 2003 - 20:05:33 CST