Re: How are you backing up your V,VLDB????

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:12:32 GMT

> I think the most significant strategic point
> is that a database of this sort is almost
> always susceptible to partitioning, with
> a date-based partition. So a large fraction
> of the database can be put into read-only
> tablespaces.

Unfortunately, we are not talking about date-based data here. What we have is spatial data in this database. For instance, I have one group of tables that holds elevation data for the entire Continental U.S. This group of tables is 50GB in size. While data doesn't get updated on a daily basis, updates are applied once every two months. Some of the spatial data doesn't ever change, and we will turn those into READ ONLY tablespaces. But other types of data will change daily. We have one spatial data set that shows how "green" vegetation is over the US (the images are taken from a satellite). This gets daily updates. By using daily updates, one can see how vegetation changes colors over time.

In the end, I know that I'm going to need to put some into READ ONLY mode, but I've got other tablespaces that aren't good candidates for that. So a mix will need to be employed.

Thanks,
Brian Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 10:12:32 CST