Re: How are you backing up your V,VLDB????

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:59:45 -0000

I think the most significant strategic point is that a database of this sort is almost always susceptible to partitioning, with a date-based partition. So a large fraction of the database can be put into read-only tablespaces.

if you are in this position, the backup
strategy consists of making sure you have a library of the read-only components, and the daily/weekly backup of changing data turns back into a large but viable volume.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon a new one-day tutorial:
Cost Based Optimisation
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Brian Peasland wrote in message <3E385635.98F2E945_at_peasland.com>...

>I am looking to see what solutions people are employing to backup
their
>very, very large database. We have a 1TB database (Oracle 9.2.0 on
Sun