Turn on Archivelog mode..

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:23:29 -0000

Afternoon 'Load',

I have the same feelings towards Yahoo as you do :o)

You asked :

>> I have edited my .ora file and pasted those lines in, but I though
>> that just enables automatic archiving and the documenation seems to
>> show that this is actually completely different changing ARCHIVELOG
>> mode. Excuse my ignorance, but are they two things (enabling
>> ARCHIVELOG, and enabling automatic archive) actually the same?

It's a two stage thingy this archive logging. The first stage is to configure and turn on the ARCH process. This is what you are doing in the initSID.ora file. The ARCH process runs in the background and copies full log file off to the location you specified and gives the filenames in the format you specified. It does this when it is 'told' that a log file has become full.

The second stage is to put the database in archivelog mode which, which is what you have to do in SQL. Amongst other things, allows the ARCH process to 'know' when to do it's stuff, and also, to protect the online log files from being overwritten until such time as ARCH has done the copy to a safe place. This answers you following query :

>> Also, do I actually have to run the stuff in SQLPlus? Can't I just
>> configure the .ORA file and bounce the box? :)

Basically, the archiving process is :

If you have 3 logfile, A, B and C, then when A is full up ARCH will be asked to copy it somewhere and B will be used. When B fills, ARCH gets told to copy B and the database starts using C. When C fills, ARCH gets told to copy it, and the database will start using A again - and so on.

However, if ARCH has not finished copying A - say due to a lack of space - then the database will hang awaiting a fix. The alert log will give details - about waiting for logs to be archived.

HTH and apologies if you already know the above :o)

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator