Re: NUMBER Data Type Question

From: Chucky <chuck.carson_at_syrrx.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:41:27 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:14:48 -0800, Chucky <chuck.carson_at_syrrx.com>
> wrote:
>

>>When you specify the width of a number column, is this 'characters' or
>>bytes? ie: If I specify a number column with a width of 2, does this
>>mean the max value for this field is 99?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>CC

>>  http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

> characters the max value for number(2) is indeed 99
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks. So this means a number(2) column uses less storage than an integer column correct? (since interger columns are 4 bytes wide?)

-CC

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Sat Jan 18 2003 - 14:41:27 CST